Re: Heater resistor (was: one more thing II)

To: The Dread Pirate Roberts <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Subject: Re: Heater resistor (was: one more thing II)
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:01:34 -0600
Yes, it is somewhat wasteful, but it is the method used for decades
to control the fan motor speed.  It is really cheap and easier to
trouble shoot than active electronic modules.  More modern (read
computer controlled everything) vehicles use other types of speed
regulators, but some just use relays to control the resistor taps,
so it is still cheaper to do this than really do a 1st rate job!

Just yesterday I noticed that the heater fan in my '97 Dodge Ram Van
was only working on high.  A look at the resistor connector showed a
burned connection.  In the past the dealers would sell a kit to repair
this kind of damage, as it happened so often.  Nope, not this time, you have
to replace the whole harness at about $200 a pop, pluss the resistor!  I
will just run my heater fan on hich until I can make a trip to the junk
yard to snip the needed connector out of a wreck.

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885