Re: OT - Another Retro Car Release

To: "David A. Fox" <dafox1@hotmail.com>, <hoon@pixar.com>, <CalSpeed@aol.com>
Subject: Re: OT - Another Retro Car Release
From: "Patrick P. Castronovo" <slick1@mohaveaz.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:17:51 -0800
When i was a teenager(1955) my neighbor had a "49 ford that he had chopped
the top down to 6 inches.  The Police would not let him drive the car
because he chopped it so far.  After he found this out, he let the car sit,
and finally sold it.  At that time the 1940 ford tudor was a popular car to
hop up.  This same person had put a 1950 Oldsmobile V8 engine into this 40
ford, he sold it to my brother.  It was geared so low that when you tried to
take off in 1st gear fast, it would only spin the tires and go nowhere.  I
guess that had something to do with weight distribution.  When it took off
in Second gear from a standstill, It would burn rubber all the way to 60
mph.  In the fifties there was no such thing as buying a souped up car from
the factory.   If you wanted it to go fast, you had to do it yourself.  Then
in 1959 Chevy put out the first real competition car you could buy from the
factory.  409, with tri power carbs, four speed trans. positraction rearend.
It was fast.  It was advertised as the fastest production car of that year.
But I remember the "59 Pontiac with tri-powered Carbs, and standard
transmission that was not even advertised, that would have eaten the Chebby
up!