Re: Roadster Cavity Area ??? (continue)

To: <XeddeX@aol.com>, "Roadster list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Roadster Cavity Area ??? (continue)
From: snyler <marc@animalfirm.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 13:46:42 -0600
XeddeX@aol.com wrote

>Sorry, pressed send accidentally.
>
>....If you pull away the rear side panels, my Datsun Roadster has 3 circular
>cutouts in the sheet metal right in front of the rear wheel wells.   Does
>that "cavity" area serve any purpose?  I know that it needs to be accessible
>to change twisties/posties, but any other purpose?
>
> Can I fill up that "cavity" area with automotive foam like this product?
>
>http://www.itwfoamseal.com/automotive_aftermarket.htm
>
>"...chassis stiffness improvement, sound damping, and reduction of vibration
>and infiltration of air, water and dust...."    I'm all for that!

I've been using 2 part expanding foams for about 15 years, and about the
last place I'd want to put them is in the body cavities of a 30 year-old
car.  The cavity to be filled had better be absolutely rust-free and free
of moisture.
Moisture will affect the expansion and curing of the foam, and any rust
will  be sandwiched between metal and the foam.  When moisture does get
in, and it will eventually, that's a recipe for body rot.  Gordon
mentioned stuffing chinks of cushion foam into the cavity.  I'd do that
before the 2-part route.  As far as chassis stiffness, remember that the
300ZX used as an example on the site has a unibody chassis.  Filling
voids in a body-on-frame car isn't going to have the same impact.

Leaving wet-blanket mode  :-)

-marc

Marc Tyler
Designer,