Tach; Temp II

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Tach; Temp II
From: "Taro Kusunose" <tkusunose@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 08:29:52 -0800
Thanks for all of the help.
Temp:  found the lead and hooked it up to the sender unit on the head.
Works great now.
Tach:  boy, what a mess that was....  My engine is one of the "rare" ones
that does not have the tach sender unit on the distributor stalk.  I
compared the distributor stalk with the one on my spare engine, which does
have the sender (and no, they aren't interchangeable).  When I put the
distributor and stalk unit back into my car, I accidentally got the gearing
off a little--which got my timing off a lot.  I was confused for a long
time, since no matter how much I advanced or retarded, no change with the
timing light....  I later realized that the timing was so out of whack that
no amount of fiddling on top would do it.... and getting the gears to come
together at the right place is a MAJOR pain in the butt, since the worm gear
tends to rotate the distributor as you put it in....  (and then the kicker
is that once I (me and my dad) figured this out, and remedied it, we got the
whole thing set up one cycle off...all the pistons were firing on the
exhaust stroke, not the compression stroke.  Took us a long time to figure
out what was happening.  Finally remedied this by swapping the lines for 1-4
and 2-3.

Whew!  I will run one of those induction type tachs in my car.  I don't want
to touch the distributor any more.....!

Taro in Seattle
'67 1600