The last bolt!

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: The last bolt!
From: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:23:21 -0500
  Okay, the last of the manifold nuts is off and the manifolds are free from
the head!  Off-list, I had asked a friend the secret to removing the bottom
nut that lies underneath the intake runner to #3 & 4 cylinders,  She said
the secret was to pull the radiator, get a Craftsman speed wrench, and have
some one with skinny arms do it.  I should have asked her to come up and
demonstrate it for me, but then I remembered I did it a few years back
(trying to remove a bad starter), so I should be able to do it again.  Well,
try as I might, I just couldn't get a 12mm on that last nut.  I even jacked
the car up  (two jacks, lots of wheel blocks and I waited for my wife to get
home, JIC) and tried to see if I could reach it from below.  No luck.
  Finally, why trying to describe why it was taking so long to my wife, who
detests the cold and was by now freezing, I remembered that one of the nuts
was bigger than the rest.  Sure enough, a 13mm slid over and after five
minutes of a quarter turn at a time, the stud fell out of the block.  It
tried to hide behind the starter with several of his buddies but I found
them.  The PO had swapped out the stock stud for something a bit bigger.
But then, since I put it back in last time I had it out, I'm as much to
blame as he is!  I think along with having the head cleaned up, all new
studs are in order.
  BTW, how does everybody feel about reusing head bolts Vs new?

Paul
OROC