Solex carbs 44mm vs 40mm

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Solex carbs 44mm vs 40mm
From: "aryasura" <aryasu19@idt.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 22:06:44 -0500
I saw this posted to the web recently.... is this guy correct in preferring
the 40mm over the 44mm?
If so, how come everyone uses 44mm on our roadsters?

"Let's say your engine makes 150 hp with either a set of 44mm carbs or 40mm
carbs.
Use the 40mm; they will give you a higher air velocity through the power
band.
This means better efficiency in terms of throttle response, fuel atomization
and economy.
Horsepower is measured and determined by air flow so take all you can get as
long as you get good flow and velocity all the way through the rpm band and
your engine is equipped to handle it."

-ed