RE: Solex carbs 44mm vs 40mm

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Solex carbs 44mm vs 40mm
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 21:55:40 -0800
I think the claim that was being made a while back was that, if a 44 is
choked down to the same size as a 40 (let's say 34, which was a pretty
common street size), the air flow velocity through the choke will be the
same in both carbs, but downstream of the choke it will drop quite a bit
more in the 44 (bigger cross-section means lower velocity for a given flow
volume). This will make the 44 more susceptible to inconsistent fuel
mixture, etc. Basically that's true.

But what is missing is that the downstream velocity is determined by the
manifold size and the port size. If these are the same in both cases, the
flow velocity will be the same. The only way you could get the full benefit
of the "lower disruption" 40mm carb would be if the manifold and ports were
sized to match.

A 44mm bore has an area of 2.35 sq in. A 40mm bore is 1.92 sq in. Now, as an
exercise for the reader, go measure your manifold and ports.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA