RE: <OT> 1963 1/2 Ford Falcon "Sprint"

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: <OT> 1963 1/2 Ford Falcon "Sprint"
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 21:28:47 -0800
Yeah, they existed. I remember hearing about them, so I went on a "dig"
through the archives and found an interesting reference in the Nov 1963 Car
And Driver. Ford ran two Monte Carlo Falcon Sprints at a 12-hr road race and
one of them took 3rd. They mentioned it had a 260 V8 and front disks.
Drivers of note were Walt Hansgen, Curtis Turner and Bob Tullius. Hansgen
ran a lot of big-bore sports racers, Curtis Turner was a top NASCAR driver
and Bob Tullius went on to fame with Triumphs in SCCA racing (later ran the
Jaguar effort in IMSA).

I thought I was going to find some mention of the Falcon Sprint in my Hot
Rod magazine collection, but I didn't. I suspect the Sprint was closely
related to the Mercury Comet Cyclone which also had a V8. Ford built a few
Super Cyclones with 271 hp 289's for the East Africa Safari Rally. Vic
Edelbrock currently has one of these cars and runs it at the vintage races.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA