good news/bad news/gas tank leaks

To: "'roadster.netlist'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: good news/bad news/gas tank leaks
From: "Ofarrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:35:26 -0800
well, in the midst of installing my replacement (honda crx) seats, I found
the bolt pattern for the rails is very similar, now the challenge ill be
jamming the bolsters (side supports) in between the tunnel and door. (that's
the good news) While under there, I've had it on my mind the next thing to
do would be pull off the fenders and see how much rust is under there.  So I
glance over at the passengers' side fender and the two bottom bolt holes are
not filled with bolts, but with spot welds.
DOH!   what horror lurks beneath....

chasing gas tank leak subject:
My Harley buddy tells me that when they get tanks refurbished, they use a
"sloshing compound" to seal the inner surface and any potential pin holes.
He said the automotive compound is mediocre, get the aircraft version. it's
worth the extra bucks.  Also, he mentioned that new additives in gasoline
make for new formulations, so don't use the old container, it has probably
been updated.
Fergus O'RustyBottom