Charging system (was dumb question)

To: Roman Rist <ristguitars@yahoo.com>
Subject: Charging system (was dumb question)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 19:18:51 -0800
It was asked:
> I started checking fuses and the flasher curcuit fuse (70 1600)
> reads straight to ground with an ohmmeter ( the needle of the meter
> slams HARD!)

It sounds like you're doing continuity checks on a live circuit.
Do that very much and you'll be shopping for a new meter :-)

> does this mean a short and could this contribute to a positive ( plus
> 30 charge at 2500 rpm?

Check the voltage across the battery. If it's much above 14 volts, you're
overcharging. If that's the case, check the output on the 'N' terminal
of the alternator. It should be 1/2 the output voltage. The regulator uses
this signal to adjust charge voltage. If the alt isn't putting it out, or the
regulator is defective, =or the wire between the two is loose or broken=,
you'll overcharge the battery.

-- John