Re: Tearing my hair out!

To: "Stephen McCartney" <sgam@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Tearing my hair out!
From: "Pam & Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:37:50 -0800
> No. 3 starts missing, there's still a spark going to the plug, but the
plug
> is fouling.  Pull it, and it's black and wet.

Steve:

John is right. It may be the distributor. Inside, around the points is a
wire with a flexible braided insulation. This wire on my car came in contact
with moving parts inside and the isulation rubbed off. It was the #1
cylinder that started missing on mine, not #3, but it could be the problem.
It did not happen all the time and seemed to get worse when the engine was
hot. I found it when I hooked up my timing light and noticed that the flash
was inconsistent on #1. I inspected the distributor and found the worn wire.
This wire MUST be very flexible, as it attaches to the spark advance and a
stiff wire would interfere with the vacuum pulling things around inside.

Hope this helps.

Paul Bauman
Westminster, CA
67 1600