RE: Main bearing rebuild

To: <Geegc@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Main bearing rebuild
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 16:30:36 -0400
When I pulled my 100K+ U20 apart the crank was still in spec and all I did
was polish it before putting in new std. Bearings and doing the rest of the
rebuild.  I just took another 100K U20 apart this weekend - std. Bearings
and they looked good.  I don't have anywhere near Les's level of experience
with these things but in my experience the bottom ends are bullet proof.  If
yours has bearing problems I would suspect lubrication problems caused it
and would want to rebuild at least the bottom end  - Including a new oil
pump.
Consider your mileage too - If you just throw bearings in it, you may have
other problems coming soon.  The timing components for the U20 are getting
to be hen's teeth.  I had to replace 3 of the 4 timing gears on mine this
time around and it ain't cheap.  Better to bite the bullet now than to not
be able to later.
My .02
Brian