Re: Diana's Dilemma

To: vlaury@earthlink.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Diana's Dilemma
From: "Stephen McCartney" <sgam@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 23:57:06 -0000
Teeheeheehee!

Victor's absolutely right.

Diana, I don't know if you'll wanna hear this, but here's my story:

I'd wanted one of these Datsun convertible thingies for YEARS.
Finally bought my baby last year - apparently the engine had been rebuilt 6
or 7 years ago, the gearbox only 5 years ago, and it had a straight body
(almost no rust) and I wanted to use it as a daily driver.

Well.

Hadn't had it 6 months when it developed a problem blowing smoke, missing on
no. 3.  We thought it was going to be a total engine rebuild!
What?  But this thing has BEEN through that - and it's only got 90,000 on it
all up, anyway!  Oh NO!

Turned out it was just a problem with the carbs.  cost me $100.
BUT, it actually cost a little more than that, in headache, worry,
explorative surgery (replacing valve stem seals and such) worry, more
headaches, lying in bed thinking "I don't believe I've spent 11 grand on a
lemon!"  "What does everyone think of me?  I'm such an idiot!"
etc. etc. etc.

On the up side, though, remember that feeling you had when you first drove
through the countryside?  The wind in your hair?  That big cheesy grin
plastered across your face?

That EXACT same feeling happens when you get your baby running and well
again!

So it's like you buy a new car every time!  8^)

Cheers,

Steve
(and remember, it's only money)
'68 2000 Solex (And it's a sunny day today, I'm going for a spin at
lunchtime, just for the HELLOVIT!)