Fairlady Products, Solvang, and spam

To: Roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fairlady Products, Solvang, and spam
From: "Les/Dennis@CDM" <les@classicdatsun.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:29:49 -0700
In the last few days we have received several complaints from people
about a
spam email promotion sent out on behalf of Dean at Fairlady Products
that
implies that they have received the email because of their participation
in this
year's Solvang show. The concerns raised have been about our selling or
giving
away the Solvang show's mailing list without telling people we were
going to do
this. It is true that Dean tried to get flyers included in the
registration
package, and that these flyers did imply that Dean expected to receive
the
mailing list from the show. However, at no time did Dean discuss this
with me or
Joe. We were quite surprised when we saw these flyers. It has *always*
been
policy of the Solvang show that the Solvang mailing list was not to be
shared,
given, or sold to *any* vendor, and that vendors were not to try and get
or use
the mailing list to promote their businesses. In all the years that I
put on the
Solvang show, I never used the mailing list to promote my business, and
I have
steadfastly refused all requests by others to do so. For this reason, I
did not
give Dean's flyers to Joe and did not allow them to be otherwise
distributed.
The use of the mailing list from the show by *anyone* for any reason,
other than
something directly related to the show itself, is not allowed, and
nothing
suggesting that this would be handled any other way will be allowed
either. Joe
left this decision to me, because of the fact that over the years I
personally
have been responsible for creating and maintaining the mailing list.

Apparently someone has created a list of some sort and sent out an email
to that
list that implies some sort of connection to the Solvang show and offers
a so
called "gift" based on the recipient's participation in the show. This
has
nothing to do with the show and the list was not derived from the
Solvang show's
mailing list. Dean was in no way involved either as a participant or a
sponsor
in this year's Solvang show and what he is doing has nothing to do with
the
show, despite what the email may imply.

While I have some very clear personal opinions about spam,
misrepresentations,
and attempts to cash in on the hard work of enthusiast volunteers who
work so
hard to make events like Solvang work (everyone say, Thank You Joe!), I
am not
using this to comment on those issues. I simply wanted to assure
everyone that
the mailing list from the Solvang Show is not, will not, and never has
been made
available to anyone. Not even sponsoring vendors are given the mailing
list.
Furthermore, I want to give my personal assurance that this will not be
changed
in the future without clear advanced notice, and without giving everyone
the
opportunity to "opt out" and keep their information private.

I apologize for using the list to deal with this administrative issue,
but I
wanted to assure everyone as quickly as I could that this is not what it
is made
to look like, and that no one has been allowed to use the Solvang
mailing list.

--
Les Cannaday
Dennis Currington