Re: exhaust over rear axle-stupid question???!!!(getting way

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: exhaust over rear axle-stupid question???!!!(getting way
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:42:08 -0400
Mike,

The 289 street Cobra did not have side pipes.  When it was raced, a lot of
racers added side pipes under the rockers.  The 289FIA racer had the side
pipes under the rockers.  The 427 street car has no side pipes - the pipes
exit under the rear quarters  with chrome tips.  The 427 S/C and 427 race
cars have side pipes.  Of course, there are exceptions to all of the above I
am sure.

The Roadster could be made to have sidepipes that work with the body design.
  It would be fairly easy to do.  Just cut the outer skin off of all of the
rockers and remove the jack point tubes.  The pipe would come down inside
the inner fender and snake down through the fender and into the cavity that
the Rocker panel now revealed.  This would minimize the chance that you
would roast your leg while exiting the car.  If you have a hard time
visualizing this, look at a Cobra Daytona coupe.  It has this type of setup.

Sid