Tech advice needed, 1600 ignition, (and then Sloan Racing

To: "Classic Datsun Motorsports" <dennis@classicdatsun.com>,
Subject: Tech advice needed, 1600 ignition, (and then Sloan Racing
From: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:37:11 -0400
  When I start the car, It runs from 2 to 5 minutes before quitting, and
then refuses to start.  I thought it was a fuel problem but I just came in
from going through the complete fuel system from the fuel filter to the
return line.  I have an electric fuel pump.  Just replaced the fuel filter.
Ran 2 or 3 gallons of fuel without a problem.  Both floats are new last fall
and are floating.  Both needles in the float chambers open and close as they
should and the float levels are within tolerance.  I blew back through both
the supply line and return line and received a lovely chorus of bubbles from
the tank.  So, I think I have eliminated any thoughts of a fuel problem.
Therefore...

  Ignition?  Is there anything that would cause a failure of the ignition
system after 3 or 5 minutes or running?  The coil does not feel hot.  One
odd thing I noticed.  My starter is wired to a push button switch under the
dash and All the key is necessary for is the ignition system and fuel pump..
The car did not want to start the first time I turned the key to ON and hit
the starter.  But after turning the key to START several times, hitting the
starter button fired it right up.  I have the coil wired straight to 12
volts when I hit the starter button and through the ballast resistor when
the key is at ON.
  So, am I looking at a failing ballast resistor?  A hot short in the coil?
Any ideas?

Paul
  BTW (non technical stuff to follow!), last night at about 8:30 I got a
call from the Sloan Racing Garage.  Through two cordless phones and 45 miles
of phone lines, it was music to hear both motors fire and run for the first
time this season.  It looks like we will still make it to our first race
this coming weekend at Nelson Ledges.  The new home grown fiberglass fenders
and trunk lids will not be ready yet, but the cars will be racing!