Re: Tech advice needed, 1600 ignition, (and then Sloan

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Subject: Re: Tech advice needed, 1600 ignition, (and then Sloan
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:53:38 -0700
Hi Paul,

That's a tough one! Don't know the answers but here's another thing to try.

Employ the standard law of combustion engine operation. Namely, you need
air, gas, and spark. Gotta be one of those that's missing. If two, then
you're really screwed. All 3 then you have a garage queen.

So... remove the air filter assembly so your carbs can breathe. Check that the
throttle plate inside the carbs moves freely without hanging up and that the
linkage moves freely. (Especially right after it quits running.) Now you got
air.

Humor me on this. Remove your gas cap. That's so your tank won't develop a
vacuum that holds back on delivering gas. Not that you have this problem, but
why not eliminate this early on.

Now to the spark portion. You're probably right to suspect this as the culprit.
You probably have some kind of open in the circuit, caused when the engine or
wiring gets to a certain temperature. Try disconnecting the vacuum advance at
the distributor. It could be that as the engine warms, the vacuum advance turns
the ignition plate in the distributor, ends up kinking the ignition points wire
and causes an open if the wire is frayed. (I would remove and inspect that wire
pronto.) It seems to me that you ought to be able to put a timing light in the
#1 spark plug circuit, and monitor the flashing light. After your 2 to 5 minutes
when the engine is dying you can see if it is continuing to flash as it dies. If
so, then it isn't a spark problem.

Fred - So.SF