Re: To rebuild or not to rebuild- that is the question

To: Andrew Murphy <solex67@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: To rebuild or not to rebuild- that is the question
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:01:01 -0500 (CDT)
I agree with Jon.  It sounds as if the only problem you have
with the engine is the oil leaks, so just take care of the leaks
and check your bearings.  If they look good, don't go any
farther.

A couple of other things:
  If you plan on keeping the engine out of the car for any length
 of time add oil to the cylinders so the rings will be well lubed,
 then put the plugs back in.

  I find that water pump seals dry out when they are left without
water/antifreze for more than a short time and will leak once they
are put back into service.  Find a way to keep the water pump
wet by blocking off the lower hose connection, adding water to
the engine until it is full and then cap off the top hose connection.
That way the pump seals will not dry out.

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner