To rebuild or not to rebuild- that is the question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: To rebuild or not to rebuild- that is the question
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 08:44:14 -0700
Hey All,

After reading about starting up a rebuilt engine, I have wondered about my
own U20 engine. Since I am doing the full Monty on the restoration, I always
thought that I would go ahead and rebuild the engine. Many of my SoCalROC
buds have suggested I don't unless I really think it is necessary. In the
words of Victor Laury "If it's tight, why bother?" which sounds a lot to me
like "If it's not broke, don't fix it".

The engine always ran very well and very fast. I have inspected the "evil
L". Nary a scratch on the bracket and my tensioner is not shimmed and the
chain seems tight. The engine leaked oil of course, but I had intended on
replacing all the gaskettes.

I have already purchased new pistons and a new timing set. Even if I don't
rebuild the engine I am keeping these for future use. Also, Jon Frampton and
his buddy Terry have inflamed me with their "can do" attitudes about the car
and I figure that I can put the money to good use elsewhere.

At what point do you say "rebuild it"?

Andrew Murphy
1964 1500
1967 2000 Solex