Forwarded: [new addition to the family]

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Forwarded: [new addition to the family]
From: List Administration <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 23:24:43 -0600 (MDT)
For some reason, this was sent to me rather than
datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net.

mjb.
----

     From: "Mitch Planck" <mitch@ias.net>
     Subject: new addition to the family
     Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 09:14:05 -0400

After buying my 2nd roadster back in January, I finally went and picked it
up yesterday. Now I've got some incentive to start working on these
projects, which means cleaning up my garage first though. I moved back in
April and haven't gotten the garage arranged at all, it's a jumbled mess
still.

More about the cars:
70 1600: The car I just bought seems to be originally from Louisville, KY.
Some documentation and a sticker on the door jamb point this way. Because of
the more southerly origins (I'm in MI), the body is in pretty good shape. A
small amount of rust above the wheel wells and in front of the doors and not
much else. If anyone remembers my old car, it's just a rust bucket
(http:\\beladi.stormloader.com). I'll have to update my site soon to reflect
this new car. I think the original color on this car is yellow. It looks to
have been touched up once or twice in spots and had some odd custom work on
the hood. Twin strips in a brick red on either side of the vent. Someone had
started a restore years back and taken many of the body and frame bolts
off - that should make my job easier since I'm planning on doing a
frame-off. The radiator and alternator and other odd parts had been removed
from under the hood, the gas filler neck in the trunk had been cut, the
seats are just sitting in their spots with the bumpers sitting on the seats,
an extra 4-speed is on the package shelf, and there is a nasty looking white
softtop. The interior on the doors and dash and underdash is fair (a few
splits on the dash), the carpet has been ripped out (the floor panels look
pretty good), and it has the original-style chrome wheels with whitewalls.

I figure after ripping this car and my current 69 1600 apart I can combine
them into a pretty good car, especially after taking care to do it right.
I'll probably wind up with a 70 body, 69 engine with pre-smog specs, and a
semi-custom interior.

Anyways, I picked this car up off Dave Pesky, another roadster nut here in
southeast Michigan and saw some of his sweet cars and projects. His finished
cars are a white 63 1500 in beautiful shape, single carb, jump seat and a
turquoise 68 2000, also in beautiful shape. Regular goers to Watkins Glen
may have seen one or both of these beauties. He also had a 66 1600, a 70
2000, another 70 2000, and a 67.5 2000 (non-solex, serial number in the 400s
if I remember correctly).

It was a beautiful day here and this made for a pretty nice Father's Day.
Hopefully I'll have more updates and questions as I start to work on my pair
in the near future.

Mitch Planck