autocross #2

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: autocross #2
From: andycost@att.net
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 20:38:59 +0000
Yesterday was the second autocross for Tetanus.  We did
ok.  Out of 12 entries in CSP we came in 2nd.  I put a
510 brake master cylinder on last Thursday.  It didn't
help the brakes any.  I think I got a bad one, it was a
remanufactured unit instead of a new one.  I plan to
take it back and try another.  Still it was good enough
for 2nd place.  I beat a lot of Vettes, RX7 turbo's,
MR2's, Camero's, etc...  There were at least 200 cars at
the event.  We did better than the majority, including a
Viper and three differen Lotus Espri turbos.

My method for braking was to pump the brakes to the
floor three times and hold.  I would then have to double
clutch to get it into second(bad syncros).  I then put
the pedal down till the next corner.  Needless to say it
was a scene from a Van Halen drum solo in the drivers
footwell.

The car is very loose out on the course.  I think my
driving style has a lot to do with it, but I would still
like to tighten it up some.  I plan to install a limited
slip to tighten the rear, but I'm not sure what I'll do
to tighten the front.  I already have a 23mm swaybar.  I
guess I could increase the spring rate.  I may take the
camber back to 1.5 degrees negative from 2.  The tires
are wearing a little faster on the inside.

Andy

BTW- Mike Steinbach came in 4th in his beautifully
prepared 68 2000 solex.  That gave roadsters two of the
trophies in a twelve car field.