RE: autocross #2 - Opening a can of worms. . .

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: autocross #2 - Opening a can of worms. . .
From: andycost@att.net
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 18:23:22 +0000
I'm using an old style set of Solexes that have 4"
velocity stacks and no filters.  The idle air screw has
been broken off in one throat and the threads stripped
out.  I tapped it for a 6mm thread(10mm head) bolt, and
sealed it in there with Hydramar.  The PO drilled a
small hole where the idle air screw used to affect the
adjustment.  It isn't adjustable anymore, but it idles
fine.  Both throttle shafts were bent when I got the
carbs.  I used a special tool to correct them (vise
grips).  I installed hose nipples in the air pump
fittings on the manifold and use a motorcycle type multi-
syncromanometer to adjust the syncronization of the
carbs.  This motor really sings now that it has a b-
cam.  Jerry Sharp had this motor built years ago and
whoever did it did a good job.  It has held up to
extended 7000-8000 running and hasn't complained a bit.

Andy