Re: Do I need a bigger alternator?

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Do I need a bigger alternator?
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 14:50:54 -0500
Yes, you can actually be discharging your battery if the total current load
exceeds the output of your alternator, but it's pretty rare that you'd draw
the battery all of the way down. I've seen cars that after a long night trip
through West Texas running brights and high wattage driving lights that
showed a healthy charge rate for an extended period the next day, but they
didn't totally drain the battery. I don't think the cooling fan's going to
draw more than a couple of amps and unless you're running a couple of high
power amplifiers on you stereo, the stereo shouldn't draw much either.

Auto batteries are not really designed for repeated deep discharge/charge
cycles like some marine and other deep cycle batteries. They like to be
charged back up immediately after being used to start the car. I'm not sure
what the differences in design and construction are between the two types,
but there is a difference.

As Pat suggested check all of you connections. I like to use serrated star
washers and a bit of petroleum jelly on grounds to the body, and frame too
since we're talking separate items on the roadster.

After you know all of your connections, both positive and grounds, are clean
and tight, then you'll have a better idea of if you need a new and/or higher
output alternator.

HTH, Ron