Re: vaporlock?

To: robbieharrison@comcast.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: vaporlock?
From: Bspark47@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:29:37 EDT
In a message dated 06/20/2002 3:59:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
robbieharrison@comcast.net writes:

> A month or so ago there was a long thread on vapor lock, which I really
>  didn't follow much at the time because I had never experienced it. Not
>  really sure if that's what's happening now, but it sure seems to meet
>  the symptoms mentioned. I've got a '68 U20 with SUs and stock fuel pump.
>  No problems cruising around town, but the last couple of times I hopped
>  up on the highway she started sputtering and coughing. Pulled off, sat
>  for a minute, everything came back to normal and was content to ride
>  around at low speeds. Engine temp seems to be fine, and she only gets
>  upset when I want to take a dash on the highway. Suspecting vapor lock,
>  I went searching for a way to cool off the fuel, and found a fuel cooler
>  at Summit Racing, at the link below:

It might be worthwhile to check out the simple stuff first before popping for
the fuel cooler. Is the stock pump's output up to snuff? A pump that's in
it's declining years may move enough fuel to keep the bowls filled at light
load/low speed but not at freeway speeds and loads. Fuel filter? A clogged
one will produce the same symptoms. And there's always the cr@p-in-the-tank
syndrome.....rust and/or crud can clog a pickup, again producing the same
symptoms.

I once owned a Volvo PV544 and some comedian saw fit to drop a few dozen
watermelon seeds into the gas filler (honest!). Ran fine until one of the
seeds found it's way to the pickup, and then things got real quiet for a
while until the seed drifted away....started back up and ran fine until
another seed got sucked in.

Point is, the solution might be cheap and easy, if not terribly sexy.

HTH

Bill
70