Seats frame primer/paint questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Seats frame primer/paint questions
From: Daniel E McHatton <hallosb@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 19:58:09 -0700
Still working on the seats.  Les is sending me some seat webbing.  In the
meantime, I sandblasted the frames and used some metal wash from the
Eastwood company.  Cool stuff.  Keeps the metal from flash rusting.

I have a question about primers, thnough.  I used gray automotive primer
from Rustoleum out of a spray can.  Someone on the list mentioned expoxy
primer and I've also heard of self-etching primers.  I understand what
self-etching and epoxy means, but I've never seen it identfied on a spray
can.  Is this something that you'll only find in a pint or quart?
...or... Can you find this stuff in spray cans?

I'm planning on painting the frames with my HVLP gun.  Any suggestions on
what type of paint? ... and ... Will I have to apply a better primer
before I put on a color coat?  Not worried about finish, just durability.

TIA
Dan McHatton
'66 1600

BTW Datsun Mike's comment on re-torquing heads is dead on.  I created
some major headaches from waiting too long to re-torque my aluminum head
on a freshly rebuilt motor.