Re: anti-seize

To: Tim Waltz <printner@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: anti-seize
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:48:22 -0700
A good all-around anti-sieze is the  MIL-PRF-83483 material. This stuff is  just
molybdenum disulfide in petrolatum (vaseline, essentially), but for non
high-temperature
applications (don't use it in exhaust manifold studs, for example) it works
great. It is
available at just about any auto parts place. The thing to watch out for when
using
anti-sieze on a threaded fastener is the increased axial load on the lubricated
fastener
which will result from the same torque. With less of the torque input taken up
in
friction, the same torque will yield a higher tensile load - i.e., the bolt
will be
tighter. This is VERY important if the threads are in a softer material such as
aluminum -
and don't ask me how I know this.... ;^).

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA