Re: anti-seize

To: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Subject: Re: anti-seize
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:15:54 -0500 (CDT)
If I decide to use anti-seize on a bolt, I go through a few extra steps
before I put the anti-seize on the bolt. First, I torque the bolt down
dry, and note the relative position of the bolt head. Then I remove the
bolt, put the anti-seize on it, then tighten it back down until the bolt
head is in the same position that it was before applying the anti-seize.

My old Volvo 260 series manual was strange and used a pointer on the
torque wrench, as well as a protractor to tighten a lot of its engine
bolts. First you torqued the bolts to a minimal torque, say, 10 Ft/Lbs, (I
don't remember what the manual called for, so the 10 Ft/Lbs is for theory
only). Next set the pointer to zero on the protractor, then turned the
bolt the given number of degrees. Sounded strange, but it did the job. The
Volvo 260 was a poor engine to begin with, I'm glad I replaced it with a
240 engine!

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA