Rocker shaft wear

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rocker shaft wear
From: <eddie@ratdat.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:02:57 +0100
Hi all,

I've been tinkering with the 1600 again, this time to get it running nicely.
First job was to make the valve train a little quieter so I warmed it up and
set about adjusting it. The rockers on #1 cylinder seem to have an awful lot
of sideways movement in them...that is you can grab them and twist left and
right. The rest are not bad. So, I'm assuming I must have a big load of wear
in the shaft at the front end. The motor has about 80,000 miles on it so I'm
wondering is this common of the result of years of neglect?

Second question is does anybody have one they could sell me and send it
across the pond?

Despite it still having a bit too much valve train noise I have got it
purring nicely now. Just a few bits of rotted rubber to replace and the
calipers to fix and I'm on the road. It should have been done a month ago
but I got distracted by other Datsun projects :-)

Eddie Rattley
www.ratdat.com
1969 - Datsun 2000
1969 - Datsun 1600 nearly there!