GM alternators

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: GM alternators
From: "Doctor Evil" <doctor_evil@fastmail.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:23:52 -0400 (EDT)
Hi.  I know that this is a subject that has been beaten to death, but
the listquest archives are "still" down (down for the count, that
is), and I cannot find the answer to my question in the other
archives (more recent), nor on the other sites.

Ok - I got my car with the GM alternator in place.  It has now bought
the farm, and I have a replacement in hand.  42A because the original
was only 30A, and that's the smallest GM there is.

It is wired as such:

Output post: to original larger gauge white wire

GM connector: white: goes from this connector to the output post
              red: goes to the black with white stripe wire that
                   connected to the voltage regulator and runs to the
                   ignition.

According to other web sites that I saw, this is ok, but I remember
people saying things about lights and fusable links and everything.

The car has run great for the last two years, and I don't think that
there is a problem, but since the alternator is out, if there are
other alternations that need to be made, why not now.

Thanks

Dave