Re: GM alternators

To: Doctor Evil <doctor_evil@fastmail.ca>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GM alternators
From: Vicki Burrows <gregnvicki@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:19:01 -0700
Doctor Evil... love that!  Anyway, I think that most of the posts (at
least mine) have been about GM self regulating alternators, so I don't
know how much will apply to your set up.  However, that said, even with
the stock Roadster alternator it is a good idea (originally put forth by
Dan at Rallye) to put in some kind of fuse or fusible link in the main
white wire that goes to your amp gauge.  The reason is, if this wire ever
grounds for any reason, your amp gauge becomes a very expensive fuse... I
know, I've done it!  It also smokes any of the wires that it happens to
be touching under the dash, and leads to erratic driving while you freak
out about the smoke and fire under your dash... again, been there, done
that.  I know that others have done different things, but what has worked
for me is to simply splice in a 35 amp fuse (you know, they come with
heavy gauge wire, and a case that holds a glass tube style fuse).  If you
can get a higher amp fuse, that might be better, but my 35 has only blown
once, and I use an 80 amp alternator (as I recall).  Hope this helps!
Greg Burrows