U20 SU Carb trouble

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: U20 SU Carb trouble
From: "Amy & Erik" <erikandamy@integraonline.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 13:48:33 -0500
I am having trouble getting my carbs tuned.  Mine have rebushed throttle
shafts and were recently installed.
Car is a de-smogged and recurved U20. NOS N-17 needles.  Timing is set at 16
deg
It idles fine around 6-700.  Carbs are balanced.
I just got a colortune.  My spark was blue and slightly orange- though I
thought it would be more consistent.
Dashpots have 10w30 in them, move freely but don't make any thunk as they
hit the bottom.  Car is plenty warm and it is 65 degrees outside.
Plugs are grayish black, and dry.

Runs bad-  backfires a bit out the carbs, has no power.  Stumbles off idle.
Sometimes after it gets past 3000rpm it seems to take off fine, but not
under load.

I have many, many downloaded instructiuons on tuning SU's (which could be
part of the problem)

Usually someone from the list can sum up the solution in one word.  What am
I doing wrong?

Please help.
Erik Smeby
2L 1600