ALMOST Running..

To: "'Roadsters (E-mail)'" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: ALMOST Running..
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 20:54:16 -0700
OK, here is where I am

After changing the upper chain (U20), I finally got all of the stuff
connected and ready to start.  I removed the distributor and the
distributor gear, and primed the engine for a couple of minutes.  Good
oil pressure, about 25% of scale according to my son.  Next I assembled
the dizzy and tried to start the car.  It just kind'a puffed and
backfired a couple of times.  Missed the tooth.

Tonight I moved the gear one tooth clockwise and the car started and ran
for about 10 seconds at low idle.  Lotsa blue smoke, which is likely
excess oil in the cylinders.  I pulled the plugs and cleaned them.  Now.
it won't hardly pop at all and there is some gas coming out of the front
carb.

I called my son out to turn the key and I put a timing light on it and
loosened the dizzy.  It tried to start when the dizzy was fully
counterclockwise.  This includes the set screw on the front of the dizzy
body.  Things are fully clockwise.  On the damper the timing mark is 1/4
to 3/8" above the first timing mark.  I think I am still one gear tooth
too far counter-clockwise and need to move it one more tooth clockwise.
Is this correct?

Oh so close Tom
69 2000
Portland