Re: Roadster at RunOffs

To: Dennis Currington <dc@datsuns.net>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roadster at RunOffs
From: Chris Coker <chriscoker@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 07:26:19 -0400
> From: Dennis Currington <dc@datsuns.net>
> Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 22:09:29 -0700
> To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
> Subject: Roadster at RunOffs
>
> Looks like Bill Wessel had some problems at Mid-Ohio today in the Natl.
> RunOffs.  He finished only 16 of the 20 laps.  Anyone hear what happened?

Bill started 8th, and jumped to 6th on the first lap.  There were a few pace
car laps due to some accidents, but Bill had worked his way up to 4th
position.  After the 2nd restart, Bill was passed by Karl McColl's 510.
Shortly after that we hear the announcer say that Wessel was slowing.  Bill
pulls into the pits, with steam billowing from the car.  We pull the hood
off (with the Speed Channel tv cameras all over us), and see water dumping
from the overflow.  We're pretty sure it's a blown head gasket.  Towed the
car back to the paddock: no water in the oil, spark plugs looked great.

So, Bill didn't finish, but we were pretty excited to see that Bill can run
with the big dogs up front.  This is Bill's 2nd runoffs.  The chassis could
use some more development, and the roadster needs probably 10 more hp to
keep up with the 510s.  Bill's car has about 160 hp, the 510s are probably
around 180, but they have to push a windshield through the air too.

The tv broadcast will be Dec. 1 at 1pm.  When Bill was on the starting grid,
the camera man was using Bill's car as an "art shot"  The camera was using
the reflection in Bill's rearview mirror to shoot the pit lane report, and
then he pans up and around the roadster to pick up the reporter straight on.
Our guess is this will probably be used as the intro to the broadcast.

I have a few pictures from my week at mid-ohio.  I'll try to get them
scanned in within the next few days.

Dave McDowell's race in EP is this afternoon.

Happy Roadstering,

--
Chris Coker
69 1600 SPL311      <http://mywebpages.comcast.net/chriscoker/roadster.html>