Re: OT-Has anyone heard of a Fisher Carburetor?

To: Datsun-Roadsters List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OT-Has anyone heard of a Fisher Carburetor?
From: Marc Sayer <marc@gracieland.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 01:37:15 -0700
Craig wrote:
> Has anyone heard of a Fisher or Fischer Carburetor?
>
> The carb has only 7 or so moving parts. We used to have
> some original plans, but can't find them anymore.
>
> A few years back we tried to produce a few of them in our machine
> shop for testing.  We could never get them to work that well.
>
> Any information would be greatly appreciated.  I have searched the internet
> and just keep coming up with Holley info and a book on how to tune your
> SU carbs buy a guy named Fisher.   My roadster carbs are doing just fine
> for now.

You sound like you are talking about the Minnow or Fish carb. Fuel is
delivered into the air stream in a Fish carb via a hollow throttle shaft
with discharge ports along the top and bottom of the throttle shaft. The
throttle shaft extends into the float chamber, and connects to a swing
arm that serves to supply fuel and do some basic metering. The carb is
pretty simply and has only a few moving parts compared to most carb
designs. There are no jets to change, and no emulsion tubes etc. By
design they are infinitely adjustable. You can also alter the
relationship between the throttle shaft position and the throttle plate
position a Fish carb. This allows you to alter the amount of air flowing
through the carb for a given fuel flow. The Fish carb was designed by
Dr. Fish, an American. In England, variations on the design were
produced by Minnow Engineering and Leonard Reece & Co. I know of no
American manufacturers. The Reece Fish carbs can be adjusted for
downdraft or sidedraft use. Minnows look a bit more conventional
externally and are downdraft only. Because of superior part throttle
atomization, the SU carbs are more efficient size for size than the Fish
carbs and give better mileage, but the Fish carbs better air flow (again
size for size) gives them the edge (by about 2-4%) in performance over
the SUs. The big advantage to the Fish/Minnow carbs is their wide and
simple adjustability. I can send you photos and more detailed
descriptions if you need.

--
Marc Sayer
Journalist, Photographer, Dog Trainer (APDT member #062956)

Passions -
Great Danes, auto racing and fast cars, my wife

Dogs -
Gracie, Tank, Delilah, PJ, & the rescue dogs

Cars -
82 280ZX Turbo, 83 Volvo 245, 93 Ford E150 Tow/dog van
71 510 Trans Am vintage racer, Zink based Formula V

My Homepage - http://gracieland.org

Deaf Dane Rescue Homepge - http://gracieland.org/DaneRescue/

Any Dane at the races is a Great Dane!