Things to watch for when doing a timing component job

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Things to watch for when doing a timing component job
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 19:27:11 -0500 (CDT)
Today I decided it was time to replace my timing gears and timing chain on
my 67.5 1600. After pulling the fan, alternator and timing cover I found
that the tensioner was loose. The screws had backed out and were hitting
the timing cover! Make sure that you use lock tite on these scres, unlike
the PPO (Previous, Previous Owner)

Secondly, when I looked closely at the '68 crank pulley I found a crack in
the bottom of the keyway! Lucally, I had the pulleys on my 67.5 1600 parts
car to move to my daily driver. Check the pulley closely when you take it
off. With the way that pulley sits, the belt is so far forward from the
end of the crank, it puts a lot more strain on the pulley, especially if
the belt is over-tightened.

Now that I have the earlier pulleys on, I find that the water pumps are
different. Even though I removed the water pump spacer, the depth front to
back on the pump is different by about 1/4" I will initially pull the pump
off the parts car while I order the correct pump. I fully expect that this
old pump will die soon, as most of the pumps I have put back into service
have after they have been dry for any length of time.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA