Re: Ignition mystery continues...(SPARKPLUGS!)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ignition mystery continues...(SPARKPLUGS!)
From: "Ken Pearce" <ken__pearce@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 02:41:13 -0600
After trying my old distributor cap and realizing no change (still no spark
to plugs 1 & 2.  I tried swapping sparkplug 3 with 1 to see if the problem
moved.  It did!  So I'm assuming fouled plugs or bad plugs on the two
cylinders that weren't firing.  I cleaned the two plugs in question but that
didn't seem to help.  They are black, carbon buildup I'm assuming, but not
in that bad of shape.

I'll pick up a new set of plugs tomorrow and see how that goes.

My "fly in the ointment" of testing if there was spark was to use my timing
light on each plugwire to see if it would flash.  I guess if the plug is bad
or fouled then there isn't sufficient ground or electrical potential for it
to jump the sparkplug gap and thus, no spark.  I think my distributor is
fine.  I should have used the method I used to see my Dad use where he would
put a nail into the plugwire end and then hold it close to the engine block.
  (Best to do this with some thick rubber gloves on or with rubber coated
pliers)

Ken Pearce 68-2000
Bellingham, WA