Front suspension questions..need some help...

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Front suspension questions..need some help...
From: <davidtotah@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 11:05:14 -0700 (PDT)
I recently began my volvo caliper conversion project,
and while I was taking the front discs off my 69'
2000, I noticed a large amount of play inthe upper
control arm.

My cousin, a mechanic, recommended that I replace the
upper and lower bushings on both sides, as well as the
ball joints...not to mention the bearing seals.

I thought...well that can't cost me that much...until
I checked out some of the prices from our roadster
vendors (not complaining about their prices) just
wasn't prepared for how much the project would cost.

I need to know if there is anything I can do to avoid
or reduce cost.  Obviously I am goign to replace the
control arm bushings (should I buy urethane or factory
rubber?)
The Ball joints create a larger problem.  They are
about 140 and 150 ea for upper and lower.  multiply
that by 2 and we are looking at over $700 for the
whole project.

How can I tell that my ball joints are worn?  They
seem to move relatively smoothly with no jiggle that I
can see....is this just the grease insulating the
jiggle?
Can I just put a new grease boot onthe ball joint and
go from there?
Is there any rehabilitation for ball joints?

Any help you guys can offer would be appreciated!
I really want to put my car back together with a safe,
and smooth ride, but I don't want to end up sleeping
on the couch when I tell my wife how much it will
cost.

If there is anyone in the area of San Jose that would
be willing to stop by and give me an assessment I
would be grateful.

Thanks,
David