Re: Addition of Headlights

To: Jessica <windsurfer@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Addition of Headlights
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 20:32:53 -0500 (CDT)
I would add relays to supply power directly from the battery to each
headlight. The wire that now goes to the headlight will control the relay.
Run a large (#10 or so) wire from the battery + to the relays. I would put
the relays in front of the radiator on the top brace so they are close to
the headlighs. Install a 10 Amp fuse between the #10 and each relay. The
wire from the relays to the headlights should be #12.

Use Bosch or Hella, not the cheap relays that most parts houses sell. Go
to your local import house and get the 4 terminal relays. They are about
the size of an ice cube and are black plastic. They are usually about $4
each, which is about the price of the poor quality ones.

If you need more information I can come up with a wiring diagram, but I
can't do it tonight.

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA