Good News-bad News

To: "Datsun-Roadsters List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Good News-bad News
From: "Jessica" <windsurfer@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 21:41:55 -0400
The weather in NC is great, 75 degrees, sunny, no clouds and I went for a nice
long ride.  Very enjoyable.

Now for the mechanical:  Lately I have noticed a small leak which appears to
come from the rear of the oil pan.  After fiddling with the oil pan gasket, I
decided to just go and replace it.  very easy job, but still leaks a little
from the same place.  I gather that it means the rear main seal?  Hope not,
but I have this bad feeling.  Anyway, I am planning on using my Roadster
throughout the summer and if it turns out to be the rear main seal, I would
replace it this winter.  My questions:

1) As long as I maintain the engine oil level, can I damage anything if the
rear main seal leaks a little?
2) I have seen the rear main seal on the Rallye Website.  Do they all come in
4 pieces?
3) I haven't looked in my manual yet, but I assume that I would need to pull
the engine?  Once changed it in a 1967 Chevy and did it from under the van w/o
taking out the motor.

Thanks

Ivin