More 4-speed overhaul advice needed

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: More 4-speed overhaul advice needed
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:11:39 -0700
Okay, I'm making progress. I'm down to the caged bearings that the
reverse idler shaft runs in. Specifically: how the heck do I remove and
replace them? Those puppies are in their bores TIGHT. Do I heat the
case and press them out? How hot? Do they get destroyed when I do
that? I have a good bearing in a bad case and I'd like to use it to replace
the marginal bearing in the good case... But I can't risk destroying the
'good case' setup because at least it's currently usable (but I'd really
like to swap that bearing if I can. BTW, it's the inside-the-box bearing,
the harder one to get to).

-- John