RE: SRL311 ?s

To: "'Tom Reynolds'" <kjtar@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: SRL311 ?s
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 19:11:27 +0930
Tom,
timing chains V timing belts is an interesting one.
Nissans latest generation VQ series engines (for example) have
reverted to chains to drive the OHC.
I read somewhere that the car manufacturers were not getting the
longevity from the rubber belts that were promised in the glossies.
That has led to the re-appearance of the ubiquitous cam chain.
Generally, unless other factors intervene, the chains only get renewed
at engine recondition time. That is certainly more than your 100,000K
or 60,000M interval!
I have had experience with both technologies and I really do not have
a preference.
The belt is very quiet and oil free however the chain is also quiet
(normally) also because it is enclosed within the engine.
My Nissan RB30 engine uses a tensioner roller but it is adjusted only
when you instal a new belt, then locked in position.
Your typical chain has dynamic tensioning to automagically compensate
for gradual stretching.
I have seen a Hyundai twin cam head that had broken its rubber band,
not pretty.
16 bent valves and 4 scarred pistons and, reportedly, the belt had
been changed at the recommended intervals.
Just my contribution to your wonderings.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner, highly modified.
1972 PL510 2 door - in storage.
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2003 specs.
www.imagestation.com/mypictures/index.html
Adelaide, South Australia.