RE: air box questions

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: RE: air box questions
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 20:41:34 -0700
from: Daniel 69 2000, Oakland CA

<< How do I make this a two piece thing and have one fit inside the other?>>
First of all remember you don't lay-up net, you lay-up and trim to net.  So
your tools are bigger than your parts.
so now you are carving your shape, a bump with a flat bottom.   when you
carve it, you will either want to leave it 2-4" taller than needed, and cut
off that extra for the carb baseplate forming tool or create a matching
rectangluar shape that you will use as the base molding tool.  You could
make the loaf taller, then use a wire to cut the foam.
Now on the hump portion, build-up the bottom 1-2" by wrapping with masking
tape or something like that, making the build-up the approx thickness of you
final part (~1/8" near the base for stiffness).  Gradual drop off back to
the foam surface by stepping down layers.  Now paraffin wax over the foam
and the tape.  You have just created a joggle in one piece so that it'll fit
over the other.
<< How do I cut the holes in the bottom of the airbox to mount it to the
carbs?>>
Drill then dremel works good.  Hole saws don't work well and will fling
things around.  Drilling and then a flap-sander works good if ya don't have
a dremel cutting tool.  Turn on your shop vac so you aren't breathing the
dust. We are carbon based life forms and your lungs think that fine carbon
dust is a long lost cousin who deserves lodging.

<<Can I cut a piece of abs and just laminate it in?>>
sticking to thermoplastic?  not very successfully.  better off to do hard
piping and soft elbows somehow.  check out the upscale V6-510 conversion
pictures, they have good ideas and use existing car pieces.
<<I will be using epoxy resin and carbon fiber for the final version I
think.>>
Good choice.  this is a hot zone.  Even if Polyester or vinyl ester would
survive, it'll stink something fierce.  West system is pricey but very
handy, don't need a scale to get good mixes.

too many words again.
Fergus O, 69 2000, HB,CA