Re: Fw: Starter or Ignition trouble

To: Jack Davis <jrd.boulder@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: Starter or Ignition trouble
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:22:51 -0500 (CDT)
Lee,

If the battery is fully charged and the engine still cranks slowly, I
would suspect either the battery cables or the engine ground strap.

Use a volt meter to measure the voltage between the battery - post (not
the cable end, but the post itself) to the engine block while cranking
the engine. The voltage should be less than one volt.

Try the same from the battery + post to one of the hot connections in the
fuse box while cranking the engine. Again, less than one volt is good.

Just for grins try reading the battery voltage across the posts while
cranking the engine. If the voltage drops to much less than 10 volts the
battery may be history. Take it to an auto parts house and get it
checked.

When you find a high reading check the voltage drop across each connection
in the path. Battery post to battery cable, battery cable (-) to engine
block, etc. until you find the problem.

Oh, concerning engine grounding, the - battery cable should go from the
battery to the engine block, usually the alternator/smog pump bracket.
Some cars have the battery ground cable connected to the frame,
with another cable connecting the engine to the frame. This set up
is not as good as going to the engine block directly, but it will work if
the connections are clean and tight. If your - cable goes to the frame
and there is no engine ground strap the choke and accelerator cables
become the ground path for he engine, which can make them smoke and
require replacement. Make sure there is an engine ground strap to the
frame!

If none of the above tests show a problem the problem could either be a
defective starter, or there is something wrong with the engine that makes
for higher drag on the starter.

Let us know what you find.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA