Life is full of surprises

To: "Roadsters (E-mail)" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Life is full of surprises
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.B.Hall@nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:43:38 -0500
Hey all - I was going to email a few, but figured you Roadster nuts are all
family.

Last week I was diagnosed with Tigeminal Neuralgia.  It is the irritation of
the Tigeminal nerve that serves the face.  It is known as the "worst pain in
medicine".  I thought I had a tooth going south and went to the dentist.
She found a bad filling, but the pain was moving from tooth to tooth and all
in my upper and low jaw - the pain was incredible.  Two more doctor visits
and the neurologist put a name to my pain.  I am on Neuontin which is a drug
for Epilepsy that stops the short circuit of the nerve.  It does manage the
pain, but makes me "swimmy" headed.  There is no cure but the pain can be
managed through drugs and other treatments.  The pain will increase until
drugs don't work or so much is taken you turn into a drooling slug.  Now I
have very little pain and will be fine for a long time - the Lord is on my
side.  A guy in my building at work has this also and in a year he was about
down and out.  He has done a Gamma Ray treatment to kill the nerve that
worked well.

So, what does this have to do with Roadsters.  Like the doctor said - time
to get my priorities straight.  My Roadster hobby is a personal one - wife
does not like cars.  With my daughter turning 5, I am going to concentrate
on family hobbies.  When I was very young, my dad set up two hobbies we
could all do as a family - snow skiing and sailing.  So, we are kicking
around the getting an RV and sail boat (hard to ski in the south:).  I will
keep my '66 in good running order and still do as much SEROCing as possible.
My custom will be put on the shelf for now.  I don't want to get rid of it
yet.  We will see.  To you guys building Roadsters, my hat is off to you.
And please keep the pictures coming!  To cure me of Roadsteritis my wife is
letting me look into getting a Infinity G35 coupe.  I reall want a 350Z, but
need the room.

You know, all in all I am doing great!  I have a wonderful family,
government job, my church, and Jesus - Life is great!  Driving my Roadster
is just a little more special now.  Live life to the fullest - that Mack
truck could be just over the hill.

Have a great day and happy Roadstering!!

Phil
SEROC