Alternative rear main seal

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alternative rear main seal
From: "Steven Hemphill" <hemphill@teknett.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 22:56:26 -0700
At one time, someone made a post about an alternative rear main
seal...different from the old FE and Ford Small block and R16/U20 rope-type
seal from the fifties and sixties. Ford changed from the rope to a two-piece
rear main, and so did the gasket-making companies, and I believe it was Stan
Chernoff that mentioned (at the 2002 Solvang Run) that  he knew what two piece
rubber seal interchanged with the roadster type...but I forgot. Does anyone
out there know, before I start buying every rubber seal known to man, and
starting a trial fit? I thought that if the thickness was about right, the
length could be cut-to-size, and rotated slightly so that the joint wasn't on
the same plane as the main bearing cap, just like we used to do to the Fords,
but I don't have the thickness handy. Does anyone know this info off-hand?

Steve Hemphill
hemphill@teknett.com
3 1500s,
5 1600s