1970 1600 Differential Noise

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: 1970 1600 Differential Noise
From: bob_wilson@agilent.com
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 07:30:29 -0600
Hi list,

it has been a few years since I did a "body off" restoration of my '70 1600
Roadster.

My differential is beginning to make more noise (at least I think it is the
differential -- as I did rebuild the transmission when I did the full
restoration). The noise is a gear-meshing wine sound. It happens when I push on
the gas, or use the engine to slow the car on a downhill.

This is the original differential and is about the only item in the car that I
did not rebuild when I did the restoration. It has about 200K miles on it.

My question is: Does anyone know if there is a typical problem that occurs with
these differentials after about 200K miles -- and is it one that I can fix
myself.

I rebuilt everything else, including the engine and transmission. But I have
yet to touch (or take apart) the differential - ever.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob Wilson
1970 Datsun 1600 Roadster
13Jun03