Example: Virus E-Mail That Might Get By - No Virus Attached

To: "Roadsters E-Mail List" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Example: Virus E-Mail That Might Get By - No Virus Attached
From: "Tom Hendricksen" <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 07:49:08 -0700
If you see the following e-mail delete it on site.  It contains a virus
called W32Gbe.B@mm.  Below is only a copy of the e-mail text.  I suspected a
virus when I saw this e-mail on my mail server BEFORE I let it download.
Norton trapped the virus file during the download from my mail server.   Had
Norton missed the virus content I would not have opened the attachment and
the e-mail would have been deleted once I confirmed there was an attachment.

Notice the return address on the first line.  It has nothing at all to do
with Microsoft.  That is a very large red flag and should cause you to
delete this file on site.   If I had not wanted to confirm there was an
attachment to this message I would have deleted the message on my mail
server and never downloaded it into my PC.  I use MailWasher
(www.mailwasher.com) to preview and delete garbage before I actually
download e-mail from my server.

Some of the links in the text below are correct for Microsoft.  Others are
not quite correct.  All of the links seem to get you to a true Microsoft
page.  These links are there to try to convince the reader that the attached
file is a good file from Microsoft.

With a subject line like the one for this e-mail I might consider sending
the sender (me in this case) an e-mail asking if I sent the message or not
before the e-mail is opened.  Sometimes a little safety never hurts.

If you want to update your Microsoft software there is a link in your START
menu called WINDOWS UPDATE.  I use this link often to locate and install the
latest upgrades for my Microsoft products.

Tom

"Microsoft" <eikzsy636334@sAenzpBTf.com>
"Microsoft Client" < >
Internet Security Patch

Microsoft Client

this is the latest version of security update, the
"June 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all
known security vulnerabilities affecting Internet Explorer,
Outlook and Outlook Express as well as five newly discovered
vulnerabilities. Install now to protect your computer from these
vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could allow an attacker to
run executable on your system. This update includes the functionality
of all previously released patches.

System requirements:
Win 9x/Me/2000/NT/XP

This update applies to:
Microsoft Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and later
Microsoft Outlook, version 8.00 and later
Microsoft Outlook Express, version 4.01 and later

Recommendation:
Customers should install the patch at the earliest opportunity.

How to install:
Run attached file. Click Yes on displayed dialog box.

How to use:
You don't need to do anything after installing this item.

Microsoft Technical Support is available at
http://support.microsoft.com/

For security-related information about Microsoft products,
please visit the Microsoft Security Advisor web site at
http://www.microsoft.com/security

Contact us at
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/goregwiz.asp?target=/contactus/contactus.asp

Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from an unmonitored
e-mail address and we are unable to respond to any replies.

Thank you for using Microsoft products.
With friendly greetings,
Microsoft Security Division