Re: Whipping up on Vipers (OT & Longish)

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Whipping up on Vipers (OT & Longish)
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:45:39 -0500
>Andy Cost

> I regularly whip up on the viper guys at the autocross.  In general, the
> people that spend a bunch of money on a really fast car are the ones that
> drive slow.  They see you beating them in a lowly old Datsun and they
> immediately go out and buy the latest go fast parts for thier car.  It really
> upsets them when you beat them the next time too.  I beat a guy in a Viper all
> year
> last year and he eventually bought a Z06 Vette to beat me with.  I beat him
> in the Vette also.  You keep whipping those Vipers and let thier owners
> anguish.  It's our way of keeping up with the Jones'.

Old war story, so hit Delete if you don't care.

Hawaii, 1975. During the almost three years we'd been in Hawaii, I'd made a
number of "improvements" in our 510 plus we were running 22 inch tall/8 inch
wide Goodyear slicks. Yes, it ran good and handled pretty well.

The last six months or so we were there (early '75) the Corvette club
started coming out. On the short, tight track at Hickam we still did well in
spite of, or maybe because of, their horsepower advantage. There was this
one character who had a Marina Blue '66 L-88 (big block) roadster who
refused to listen to a anyone's advice to take his foot out of the
carburetor. He was constantly complaining about the "unfair" advantage that
we enjoyed with our "fancy race tires". His bitchin' and moanin' was
especially loud when Elayne regularly thoroughly cleaned his clock, even
after he bought a set of slicks.

We still laugh about how totally outraged he was after Elayne gave his wife
a few tips and she beat his times consistently. He never learned. Some
people just refuse to.

FWIW,
Ron

Ronnie Day