15" Panasport wheels

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 15" Panasport wheels
From: "Jon and Maggie" <jm.rider@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:03:16 -0700
Team,
  I have always desired to have a set of panasport wheels on my roadster and
finally found a set of 15" wheels with the right offset and bolt pattern.  I
was pretty excited about this.  However, I just got back from my local Les
Schaab dealer and now have some issues that I'm hoping the list can help me to
resolve.

  The wheels fit on the car just fine front and rear except for the very inner
portion of the wheel against the front caliper/bolt plate.  This part (excuse
my ignorance for not knowing what you call it) has a larger lip the sticks out
about 3/16 of an inch past the plate.  The panasports have had the inside of
the wheel milled at a 45 degree angle from the face but it is still about 1/8
of an inch too narrow (no metrics this time) so the wheel does not fit up snug
against the bolt plate.  How have others who have the panasports dealt with
this problem?  My thoughts at this point are to go to my local machinist and
have him mill out this very small area to allow for the wheel to fit over the
protruding lip.  I fiigure I would only have to cut into the 45 degree portion
of the wheel a maximum of an 1/8th of an inch and would actually be taking out
less metal than that as it would be cut into the 45 degree portion.  Hope that
all makes sense????

  Also, the panasport center cap is too shallow in the front as well.  Do the
make a deeper cap?

  Thanks (as always)

  Jon