engine mount replacement

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: engine mount replacement
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 08:13:27 -0700
This is one of the first things I tried when I bought my roadster, and was
pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.
Ordinary hydraulic jack, a good sized piece of 2 x 12" wood, and mixed
wrenches and sockets.  I say mixed because this involves one of those areas
of restricted access where you do the "1/8th turn, flip the wrench, 1/8th
turn" act.
What you want to do is get the engine to "shrug" just a bit, one side then
the other, with the jack, one side at a time.  In my case I was not too
observant and the whole car started to lift because the plastic fan blade
had hit the shroud.
(found the shroud and the fan blade tip is strong enough to lift about 1/2
the front end weight, now there's a useless piece of info)
Removing the battery is a must, and I think I removed the alternator, or
just dismounted it and drooped it back without removing the wires for
access.
No need to remove anything else, (exhaust, fuel pump, etc) right gang???
Fergus O, 69 2000, HB, CA